Bill Tyler, LMFT
Education & credentials
- Master of Arts degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from Michigan State University,
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Michigan State University,
- Currently pursuing a Doctorate in Marriage and Family Therapy, Michigan State University
- Member of American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
My affiliation with Michigan State University allows me to remain on the cutting edge of evidence-based treatments. Still, I recognize the importance of being personable and listening to my clients rather than simply pursuing therapy in a cookbook-like fashion. I believe that everyone’s story is unique and that they deserve to be heard and listened to.
I am proudest of people who enter therapy for the first time or after a long absence. Many people have told me that they have had negative experiences in the past and have waited a long time to return. I know that men, especially, have difficulty coming to therapy due to negative perceptions that still exist. The greatest compliment I ever received was, “I expected you to be a quack, but you talk like a regular person!” I avoid ‘psycho-babble’ and work best with people who are hungry for change in their lives.
- Anxiety disorders, including phobias, panic disorders, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder using evidence-based treatment approaches
- Treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Couples Therapy, including issues of communication, respect, sexual dysfunction, co-parenting and other skills for divorcing couples
- Behavioral Addictions
- Sexual Addiction
- Pornography Addiction
- Internet-based infidelity