Karen Kerr, LMSW, EMDR Trained
Education & credentials
- M.A. Social Work, Wayne State University
- Fully Licensed Social Worker, State of Michigan
- Member of the Academy of Certified Social Workers (ACSW)
- Member of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- Member of the Michigan Association of School Social Workers (MASSW)
I am committed to creating an enriching, collaborative experience that is built upon mutual respect, acceptance, trust and compassion. My approach is a strength based one in honoring, enhancing and expanding individual strengths and resources for growth, healing and optimal functioning in all areas of life and relationship. I offer a variety of treatment modalities based on individual need and preference including insight oriented psychotherapy, interpersonal empowerment, compassion focused and expressive therapies along with cognitive behavioral strategies and mindfulness to develop a specialized plan that can evolve over time.
I believe that we are all striving to become our personal best and to enjoy happy, healthy and loving relationships that begin first with self-acceptance. I also understand that we share a common humanity in which we are all faced with challenges that can feel insurmountable. The depth of courage it takes to examine our lives to get in touch with what is not working along with the source of our unhappiness continues to inspire me. I am awed by the resiliency of the individual in navigating difficult life circumstances or relationships as well as the healing and growth that can take place through the process. I truly believe that we all have the capacity to change patterns of thoughts and behavior that contribute to disabling stress or dissatisfaction and that all wounds can heal to the extent of leading a richer, more meaningful and happier life!
- Impacts of addiction on family members
- Mindful self-compassion (MSC)
- Parents of children with special needs