Kathleen Burns-Jager, LLP, LMFT, PhD
Education & credentials
- Ph.D. Family & Child Ecology, MFT Specialization: Michigan State University
- M.S. Counseling, Mental Health & Marriage and Family: Barry University, Miami Shores, FL
- B.A. Communication: Loyola University of Chicago
- Fully licensed as Marriage and Family Therapist in Michigan
- Holds a Limited License as a Master’s-level Psychologist in Michigan
- National Certified Counselor
- Clinical Member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Approved Supervisor through AAMFT
- Board Member of the Michigan Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
It’s a privilege to be a therapist and to be able to be with people through the tough times that life often brings. My goal is always to practice with the perspective of strength, kindness, cultural competence, equality and sensitivity. I believe that therapy is about developing connection with self, family and community; making sense of the meanings that we hold for ourselves and our relationships, through the joys and sorrows that life has to offer us. Therapy is around to help us make life more manageable, meaningful and joyful.
I’m just going to say what I think here … Life is about running the hills, swimming through the sparkle in July, M&Ms, diet coke and pretzels, reading spooky stories with your kids, getting out of your comfort zone, meeting people where they are at, and at the end of the day knowing that you contributed to the community in ways that mattered.
- Kathleen has specialized in working with families and children at risk. She is the Director of the Families in Transition (FIT) Program in partnership with child welfare. Her practice philosophy focuses on facilitating family empowerment and she has published and presented on family-based therapy in the child welfare system.
- Kathleen is comfortable providing therapy for a wide variety of presenting issues including: grief and loss, women’s issues, trauma, depression and anxiety, parenting concerns, adjustment to life stressors, and child behavior problems.
- Additionally, she has specialized training in Trauma-focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and is a member of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children.