Misty Chung, LMSW
- Addiction / Substance Abuse
- Anger Management
- Bipolar Disorder
- Child Behavior Problems
- Chronic Illness / Pain
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Couples Therapy
- Divorce Adjustment
- Domestic Abuse / Violence
- Eating Disorders
- Faith Based / Spirituality
- Family Therapy
- Grief / Loss
- Identity Issues
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
- Personality Disorders
- Play Therapy
- Pregnancy / Postpartum
- Premarital Counseling
- PTSD / Trauma
- Relationship Issues
- Sexual Assault / Abuse
- Sexual Problems
- Suicidal Ideation
- Telehealth / Remote Therapy
- Women's Issues
Education & credentials
- Fully Licensed Clinical Social Worker, State of Michigan
- Master of Social Work, Grand Valley State University
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Work, Calvin College
- Certified Addictions Counselor (CAADC)
I believe that a person is body, mind, and spirit and that keeping these in balance is essential to finding peace and contentment amidst difficult circumstances. I believe that it is not as much about what happens to us in life but our response to what happens to us. I believe that each person is an expert in his or her own life and that the relationship between a counselor and a client is a tool to draw out of a client the best possible solutions for his or her own life.
I strive to show care to each of my clients and to be fully present and attentive when we meet. I find that very cool things – even changes – can happen in this relationship.
- Grief and Loss
- Maternal and Infant Mental Health
- Life transitions (parenthood, divorce, death, job change)
- Emotional concerns in children and adolescents
What was your dream job when you were in elementary school?
Of course I wanted to be a Veterinarian…I love animals!
What is your favorite movie of all time?
Probably the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I an particularly fond of the second movie, The Two Towers. Inspired by Tolkein this allegorical movie inspires me to remember that even when all looks lost and bleak…the sun will still rise on a new day.
Describe your ideal vacation? Has it happened yet?
My ideal vacation has the people I love, having a restful, relaxing, and recreational time wherever it may be, whether the place is familiar (home) or newer (Washington DC, most recently). Of course there are plans for some more exotic locations in the future!
What is the most delicious meal you can imagine?
My mouth waters when I think about eating at any Brazilian steakhouse. Savory meats, awesome vegetables, and everything so fresh and tasty – yum, yum, yum.